About the opportunity
We are seeking a well organised individual to join our board of trustees as District Secretary.
As Secretary you will undertake various administration tasks, including:
– taking minutes of meetings (approx. 4 to 6 per year)
– writing letters
– coordinating the annual Scout census
– supporting other volunteers in the management of Scouting in Biggleswade District.
This opportunity does not involve working with young people but the work indirectly benefits young people in the area.
What are we looking for?
Able and willing to undertake admin duties from home office.
Basic computer skills and access to email is essential.
A criminal record check and references will be undertaken.
Able to drive / travel to meetings in the Biggleswade District (meetings typically take place at our District Campsite in Henlow)
Over 18 year olds ONLY.
No previous Scouting experience required.
For more information, or for an informal chat about the role, please contact our District Chairman.
Deputy Youth Commissioner
We’re currently looking for 2 or 3 Deputy District Youth Commissioners to work with the District Youth Commissioner at Biggleswade District Scouts.
What does a youth commissioner do?
Youth Commissioners and Deputy Youth Commissioners are volunteers responsible for driving youth shaped in their local area. They support volunteers, shape the programme, influence decisions that we make at Scouts and take the lead.
They are aged 18-25 at appointment and enable volunteers to embed the ideas and decisions of young people into local scouting.
They play a key role in the leadership and management of the District. They need to motivate both volunteers and young people. Responsibilities in a deputy youth commissioner role vary, but are likely to include working with the youth commissioner and other deputy youth commissioners to:
- Support volunteers to put the views and ideas of young people at the heart of their section’s programme
- Promote participation in the YouShape award in their District, as well as top awards
- Help to ensure that young people get regular opportunities to take the lead, including promoting participation in the young leader’s scheme
- Inspire and motivate young people in the District, ensuring they know about all the different opportunities available to them in scouting, including when they reach 18 years old
For more information, please take a look at the Application Pack.
Closing date for applications: 31st March 2022